2/12/2013

earn and learn


There's a silkscreening workshop this weekend by CraftMNL, and the session costs PHP1200. We'd explored that method before in college, and I still have the tools to silkscreen by hand, but I thought this would be a good opportunity. Enrolling in this short session would put me in the company of like-minded individuals, I imagine, as well as give me the chance to learn more than I had ever bothered to learn in college.

But I had no budget for that; hence, the agenda.

At this point in my life, I want to stop being blissfully ignorant and careless about the environment I live in. My nature has always been supremely passive, allowing the Universe to take the reins and carry me wherever. During the first few months of 2011, I remember being proactive with my decisions. I would grab opportunities that were scary but I knew would help me grow—I volunteered, I performed, I took up jobs I never even thought I would. And then... I got back in limbo.

To be clear, I still thought I was getting the most out of that limbo, but everything I did was self-enriching with no other goal than to take in pleasure. It wasn't a bad thing per se, but I realized that I yearn to enrich my self in order to offer something of value to the world. (Sounds idealistic, but better aspire than be complacent.)

Tomorrow I'm going to UP and attend UP Asterisk's Pinoy Fried forum. My university life was spent floating through classes and superficial relationships; I didn't do much back then. Ayoko nang lumutang. So, even though I've already graduated from UP, I want to attend this time out of my own volition. I want to actively seek out new experiences. And I want to apply whatever I learn to whatever else I'm going to do in my life.

Of course, I need funding to do so, that's why I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to launch my accessories line this month. If it gains traction, I have plans laid out for its development, involving what I hope to be of social significance~. In the end, the next time I'll want to join a workshop that requires a fee or do something worthwhile that needs some budget, money woes won't be holding me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment